Chris and I have decreed Monday to be recipe day in the Becoming Elli world. Why? Who knows but we like it. Rather than give you a recipe today, I’m going to list some snacks that I enjoy, just to give you some fresh ideas. I try to include protein with my carbs in my healthy snacks. Some fat is usually a good idea too.
Here are some healthy snacks that I enjoy:
- Hummus with sugar snap peas. You can use any vegetable or combination of vegetables you want but I love a snack of sugar snap peas with hummus. Fantastic!
- A handful of nuts. This works but if you’re too hungry, it’s easy to eat more nuts than you probably want to eat in one sitting.
- Apple with peanut butter. Really, this is perfect. If you avoid peanuts, switch the peanut butter to almond butter.
- Celery with peanut butter. I know you have to be careful with peanut butter because it is high in calories but it does taste good.
- Cheese stick. Yes, just like the ones you used to give your 10 year old child.
- Plain yogurt with berries. If you give plain yogurt or plain Greek yogurt a chance, you’ll learn to like it. You can also add some granola to this.
- Hard boiled egg
- Even better, deviled eggs!
- A few of my famous oatmeal balls. See the recipe I shared earlier.
- Tuna salad wrapped in romaine lettuce.
- Cottage cheese, if you eat dairy. You could add some fruit to this.
- Pumpkin seeds
- Shrimp cocktail. I sometimes buy just a few shrimp at the grocery store and then enjoy them as a snack.
- Sardines! Just eat them right out of the can if you want.
- Sweet peppers stuffed with goat cheese. I buy these from my local grocer.
- Dark chocolate with a cup of tea
- A small serving of oatmeal
- Some baked beans. These actually make a good snack. Avoid brands that are high in sugar.
- Soup: heat a bowl and enjoy!
- Kind bars. I love these things and they’re what I buy if I have to grab something at a store for a snack.
These are just some ideas. What have I missed?