Fighting Processed Food Addiction – Episode 49
Download | Play in New Window
Please Subscribe: Apple Podcasts (iTunes) | Google Podcasts | Android-Google Play | Stitcher | Player FM | Castbox | Tunein | Spotify | RSS
In Episode 49, Jill and Chris interview Dr. Joan Ifland, a processed food addiction expert. Dr. Ifland has been creating breakthroughs in recovery from food addiction since 1999, when her first popular book was published. In 2018, her textbook, Processed Food Addiction: Foundations, Assessment and Recovery was published. Her insights into fighting processed food addiction follow decades of research and are fascinating.
In this powerful episode we discuss:
What is processed food addiction?
- The dangers of food addiction
- The 11 questions to answer to discover if you have a food addiction
- The six most common indications of addiction
- A checklist of symptoms – Diagnostic Criteria for Addictions
- What addicted eating looks like compared to non-addictive eating.
- Why the triggers to eat processed food are so powerful
- What happened after the tobacco industry purchased a significant part of food industry in the 1980’s.
- The role of sugar, high fructose corn syrup, caffeine, salt, dairy, diet soda and artificial sweeteners in food addiction
How to stop eating processed foods
- When it is better to wean slowly off of processed foods or go cold turkey.
- Can processed foods be eaten in moderation? For instance, cheat days or special events?
- What to expect when going through the withdrawal of processed foods (the first 4 days)
- How to stay clean and avoiding relapse
- Managing Withdrawal from Processed Foods
- How to navigate holidays and special occasions that are filled with processed foods.
- The role of cueing in food addiction and how to gain control.
- Why mirror neurons can help or hurt us in fighting food addiction.
- The importance of finding your tribe.
She created RESET WEEK, the first online live video program for withdrawal from processed foods.
Many resources were mentioned during the podcast. Some are directed to health professionals, others are for consumers and the general population.
Here is where you can find more education and resources for fighting processed food addiction:
- Dr. Ifland’s website https://www.drjoanifland.com/
- Food Addiction Resources http://www.foodaddictionresources.com
- Facebook https://www.facebook.com/foodaddictionreset/
- Instagram https://www.instagram.com/foodaddictionreset/
- The Addiction Reset Community (ARC) http://www.foodaddictionreset.com
- Free services at her Facebook group called Food Addiction Education https://www.facebook.com/groups/1806154526275515/
- Free resources and printable handouts http://www.foodaddictionresources.com
- Grocery shopping list of unprocessed foods
- Education and support by FAR-TV videos at Food Addiction Reset TV on YouTube