Healthy Potluck Veggie Salad
With the warmer weather, it is potluck season. My bike group likes to get together to ride after work and then have a potluck following.
One challenge for me is what to bring to the potluck. Over the past few years, I’ve opted for a veggie salad minus the lettuce. Basically I chop, dice or grate the veggies. Instead of adding it to lettuce, I skip the lettuce and the veggies become the salad.
We have several vegetarians who sometimes ride. The challenge becomes the protein. I like to add beans – either chick peas (garbanzo beans), kidney, or black beans for protein. (I rinse them first by running water over them and draining.) Sometimes I’ll add a hard boiled egg to top the salad.
Dressing is usually the same: olive oil, cider vinegar and lemon juice. Add a little salt and pepper and good to go.
Advantages of this healthy potluck veggie salad:
- Can cut the veggies on Sunday night after grocery shopping
- Keeps well during the bike ride with just an ice bag in a zip lock under and over
- Left overs make a good side for lunch the next day
- Colorful veggies makes it inviting
- It’s never the same twice
- Low in calories, filling and quite yummy
- It’s easy and you don’t have to measure anything
What healthy dish do you like to bring to potlucks?