Episode 108 – Say Yes – The Amazing Adventures of Deirdre Hewitson
In episode 108, Jill and Chris talk with Deirdre Hewitson, who says ‘yes’ to pretty much any opportunity or adventure that comes her way.
Deirdre Hewitson is a freelance photographer, editor, and writer who lives in Cape Town, South Africa. We learned about her because one of our Becoming Elli members (who lives in Norway) posted that Deidre is her hero.
Over the years. Deirdre has taken up scuba diving, bicycle racing, water skiing, paragliding, white water rafting, and running. Now, at 61, and about ten marathons later, she has added trail running, climbing, hiking and yoga to the mix of regular activities.
“Say yes more often than you say no, and try pretty much everything at least once – ‘pretty much’ because some things – those that will harm you – aren’t worth trying.” These are the words Deirdre lives by.
- We discussed:
- How she started at age 53 by running at night so “on one could see me”
- How she trains for races
- Her most memorable race
- Why she chose the 13 Peaks Challenge
- Comparing road running to trail running pros and cons
- How she handles food when she is on an adventure
- Why she practices yoga
- Her plant based meals (stopped eating meat 30 years ago)