Episode 114 – Sharing Love of Tennis with Katie Orlando
In episode 114, Jill and Chris talk with Katie Orlando, a professional tennis player. Katie played college tennis at the University of Akron where she was All MAC Conference in 1993 and now is in the University of Akron’s Sports Hall of Fame. In August 2022, she was inducted into the United States Professional Tennis Association (USPTA) Midwest Hall of Fame. Katie was also named the 2019 USPTA Midwest Professional of the Year.
She is currently the Tennis Director at Towpath Tennis Center in Akron, Ohio. Katie is sponsored by Wilson for racquets. She has won numerous awards for her volunteer work in tennis.
Katie enjoys passing her passion for the game of tennis to others. She wants to bring her love of tennis to all the communities she can and is also teaching adaptive tennis.
During the podcast, we discuss:
- How she motivates herself to stay fit
- Why tennis a good activity for women over 50
- How does she protect her knees, elbows, and other joints
- Types of cross-training
- Advice on getting started
- Mental, physical and social parts of the game
- Important lessons she has learned as a professional athlete
- How healthy eating influences her game
- How she fuels when she is on the court for 3 to 3 1/2 hours at a time
Website: Towpath Tennis Club