Living the Keto Lifestyle with Daisy Brackenhall – episode 61
In episode 61, Jill and Chris talk with Daisy Brackenhall, also known as the Keto Woman. She is a delightful person who is extremely knowledgeable about living the keto lifestyle.
Daisy is a Brit who has been living in rural France for the past 15 or so years. She lost half her bodyweight with weight loss surgery and low carb eating and has since maintained a healthy weight with keto. Keto has also helped her significantly reduce depression and migraines. She is a part-time gardener and lives with her three dogs and cats.
Daisy is a podcaster and produces two weekly podcasts. In the Keto Woman podcast Daisy chats with extraordinary women and shares their inspiring stories with listeners. Monday Mindset is Daisy’s newest podcast and a collaboration with her friend and psychologist Terri Lance, who works at The Fasting Method. Each week they share with each other and their listeners something that they’ve found inspiring or motivational.
A few years ago Daisy created and continues to run a successful Facebook group for women called Kickarse Keto Bitches. With almost 3000 members from all around the world, the group functions as a safe and inviting community for women to find and offer support to one another.
In today’s interview we talk about:
- Her experience with diets and surgery
- How she was able to stop the regain
- The basic principles of keto – ketosis
- Reducing carbs for ketosis and the role of whole foods
- Keto as an anti-inflamation diet, type 2 diabetes, treating diseases
- The impact of Keto on metabolism, insulin and blood sugar
- Making keto work for you (as opposed to making yourself fit into a specific version of keto)
- Keto basics: fatty proteins, leafy greens, mostly above ground vegetables, a few nuts and seeds, and some dairy, keto treats
- What is Keto AF? Daisy’s 100th interview with April Ihly
- The difference between moderators and abstainers
- Avoiding refined carbohydrates, processed carbohydrates, seed oils
- DietDoctor.com offers free resources, infographics, information on high carbohydrate to low carbohydrateKet vegetables
- A two week meal plan at DietDoctor.com is a good starting point
- Running in a fat-adapted state and endurance sports
- The sense of empowerment keto gives to women in particular
If you’d like to follow Daisy Brackenhall online, you can find her at these sites:
- Daisy Brakenhall Monday Mindset YouTube Channel
Daisy also interviewed Jill and Chris about their weight loss journey and how they are working to stay fit and strong in the second half of their lives. Click through right here to listen to Keto Woman podcast episode 138 featuring the cohosts of the Fit Strong Women Over 50 podcast.